The “thought” of a library began in 1865 when a group of townspeople met to form the Plainview Library Association. The group met in homes until enough money was raised to fund a “Reading Room”. Plainview’s Reading Room was founded 1879 in Wilcox Hall. In 1905, a Municipal Library Association was formed. In 1906, the Plainview Library Association turned over all properties to the Municipal Library Association. The library found a permanent home when when City Hall was built in 1910. It began with 61 books and a list of 161 borrowers.
The library joined Southeastern Libraries Cooperating (SELCO) in 1974 which gave its patrons access to items from other libraries in southeastern Minnesota.
In 1992, the library moved into its present location, with the east side of the building being a community room. In 2004, the library expanded into the east side of the building, creating a children’s area.
Our Mission Statement:
Today, the community continues to support the library as a vital community resource as it pursues its mission of “Supporting a Lifelong Enjoyment of Reading and Learning”.